After three years in the Army having served in a Special Forces Unit, Director Dan Woodson completed a four year degree program at Fresno State College receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering. While in college, Woodson worked for the U. S. Forest Service in Fresno. Shortly after that he met the State of California requirements to become a licensed Civil Engineer.
Continuing his career with the Forest Service, Mr. Woodson served as Facilities Engineer engaging in planning, survey, design, contract preparation, contract administration and operation, and maintenance of forest facilities, roads and buildings. As advanced engineering technologies became available to the Forest Service he became an Engineering Computer Analyst for the Sierra National Forest applying the new technologies of GPS, surveying and computer aided design to the workplace.
Retiring in 1998, Mr. Woodson moved to Nipomo and became an active community member. His involvement in the community includes:
- Past Chair and current member of the South County Advisory Council
- Past Chair and current member of the Citizens Transportation Advisory Council of SLOCOG
- Chair of the Nipomo Traffic and Circulation Committee
- Member of the Nipomo Arts Commission
- Member of the Black Lake Gyro’s
- Member of the SLO Land Conservancy